Natural Dyeing at New England Botanical Gardens - Boylston
10:30 AM to 2:30 PM
Who can attend
Limited Capacity: 20 spots available
In this single-day workshop learn the basics of natural dyeing. For thousands of years natural dyeing provided the colors we wore. They come from a variety of sources and provided every color you can imagine. You will learn how to make a mordant pot, prepare your fabric or yarn, make and use a dye pot, and mix colors. We will dye samples of linen, cotton, wool, and silk in each of the dye pots, and everyone will leave with at least one silk scarf that you have dyed.
Please wear clothes and shoes that can get messy.
Please bring your patience because dye pots take time. You may want to bring a project or a book, or you may want to go enjoy the gardens between the various steps in the dyeing process.
Allergy warning: We will be working with linen, silk, cotton, wool, saffron, cochineal, onions, and alum in this class, and there is no appropriate substitute.
This class will be offered several times this year, each time focusing on different natural dyes and colors:
May 28, 2023: Saffron, Onion, & Cochineal to make yellow, red, and orange
June 25, 2023: Saxon Blue, Osage Orange to make yellow, green, and blue
September 10, 2023: Invasive Common Reeds to make green
October 29, 2023: Saxon Blue, Brazil Wood, Cochineal to make blue, red, and purple
Instructor: Liz Ives
Liz Ives is an artist with over 20 years of experience. She has a BFA from the Art Institute of Chicago. She teaches a variety of fine arts and crafts classes and specializes in textile arts. She is currently offering classes at New England Botanic Garden at Tower Hill and Worcester Art Museum.
$60 Member Adult; $75 Adult (includes admission to the Garden)
To register for a class:
- Please log in or create an account. Log In/Create Account is in the bar at the top right of the page.
- Return to the class you wish to attend.
- If you have not already done so, you will need to scroll to the bottom of the page and add attendees. You will need to add yourself and anyone else you wish to register.
- If you have already done this, the attendees will be listed below and simply check the box next to the desired attendees.
- If you need assistance, please contact the Registrar at 508-869-6111 x174 or email at email@example.com.